Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole
From: "Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)" <k8ut@k8ut.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 06:00:48 -0500
Paul,

I use an Excel spreadsheet with calculations for all the HF bands and the most common antennas. You will find a copy of my spreadsheet here:
http://www.k8ut.com/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=41

When I am tuning an antenna, I use an MFJ analyzer to determine the best SWR, and then plug that frequency into the calculation. The spreadsheet then reveals the difference between the length of my ideal frequency and the measured frequency. I adjust the antenna by that difference and it usually gets me real close.

For example: Let's plan to build a 160 meter dipole that is resonant (lowest SWR) at 1.85 MHz.

Open the spreadsheet and you will see three formulas for 160 meters in rows 37, 38, and 39. The calculated lengths for dipoles on 1.800, 1.850, and 1.900 MHz are in columns O (full length) and P (length per side). Imagine that you measure the lowest SWR of your new antenna on your MFJ259 analyzer and find it resonant at 1.765 MHz. Replace the reference 1.900 frequency entry at cell B39 with your measured resonant frequency of 1.765. Notice that the calculated length at 1.765 (in cell P39) is 132.58 feet per side. Since you want your new antenna to be resonant at 1.850 MHz, you can subtract the calculated length for 1.850 MHz (cell P39 - 126.49 feet) from your new antenna measured frequency (cell P39 - 132.58 feet). In this case, you know that your new antenna is 6.09 feet too long, per side. Shorten your antenna by 12 feet, and measure again.

I hope my explanation and example make sense. 73!

-larry (K8UT)
-----Original Message----- From: paul ecker