Re: Topband: Topband ground characteristics

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband ground characteristics
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:39:55 -0700
On 10/3/2012 10:35 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
This does not seem that major, although it does require unchanged measurement points and open areas. It would NOT work for local site conductivity, but it would work for proofing the idea we can measure the very surface and conclude what happens at depth.

I've never seen a suggestion that measuring at the surface is in any way indicative (or predictive) of conditions 50 ft down. Rather it's a data point for conditions between the top and bottom of the probe(s). At my qth, I can insert a probe roughly 3 ft and reasonably easily remove it. I can usually bury an 8 ft copper-clad steel rod, but it ain't coming back out. :) And even that greater depth is likely insufficient for 160M skin depths. On the other hand, less depth might yield relevant data at 40M and above.

The interesting part though is that Cris has observed correlation between variations in his soil conditions and his feedpoint Z. I've obtained the "stuff" I need to make some measurements here using Rudy's method. There's a lot on my plate right now, but I'd like to get a set of measurements in before rainy season sets in, probably late Oct / early Nov, followed by more during the winter. Our last rain was late May, so the surface is pretty dry..

73, Jim K9YC
Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.