Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop

To: rodenkirch_llc@msn.com, w8ji@w8ji.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K6STI low noise receive loop
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:31:03 -0400 (EDT)

   "there is no "modeling" associated with this effort."

Jim,

I took a look at the article today and also threw together a basic (simple)
EZNEC model and my generated elevation pattern closely resembles the pattern
that they published (fig 6) in QST back in 1995.  On 160 meters the elevation
pattern shows max gain at 44 deg and 43 deg on 80 meters.  RDF is not
spectacular, but depending on where the noise is coming from (as well as the
signal of interest) it might do well.  Looks like it does best when noise is
arriving at a very low angle, or at a very high angle.

After trying lots of things on a small lot, I personally am convinced that I
need to go with phased flags or short phased verticals (like a Hi-Z system) in
an attempt to maximize RDF along with a reasonably low angle of radiation (for
DX).

73's
Don (wd8dsb)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK