Re: Topband: Propagation to Conway Reef

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Propagation to Conway Reef
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:08:25 -0400
Again the same thing with past rare pacific DX-peditions, 3D2C did not start on Top band today as in other days until 1/2 hour after local Eastern Caribbean sunrise. Not to worry for me as I already have Conway Reef confirmed on 160. I only make this mention since there are others out here that need it on TB and will not have a chance under this schedule. The problem with many DX-peditions today rather than in the past is they rely on SR/SS charts for the East Coast before they even check the band for a few test CQ's prior to what the charts or the computer tells them what to do. The same pattern holds true when rare African and Indian ocean operations completely forget about the great sunset openings here to that region and only take Europeans at 2230-2330 and give their first QRZ NA an hour or so later when the line moves up the East Coast and the Big Guns are pounding away. Timing I guess *is* everything. So either way at times it is beyond belief how strong some rare DX-peditions are here when they are stringing Euros but you never have a chance in breaking that wall. I liked the remarks of Jerry WB9Z who said from NH8S as soon as they got the TB antennas up that "tonight we will be on 160 from before our local sunset to after our sunrise. " That was music to my ears!

Herb, KV4FZ