Re: Topband: Homebrew Hairpin

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Homebrew Hairpin
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:41:41 -0400
I have a flat-top T transmit antenna as well. I modeled it with EZNEC, found its feed resistance/reactance, fed these into a L-match program.

I'm another fan of the TLW program. After modeling a "T" design for N4NN using NEC 4.2, the antenna was constructed and then measured with a vector network analyzer. We input the measured base Z result into TLW and instantly had our low-pass L design. I had first opted for a lower loss, high-pass L, but due to the resulting Z values, only a low-pass version of the L could be constructed, although we could have just as easily designed a T or Pi network. Since a targeted phase shift value wasn't required through the network, the L was adequate.

From the TLW values, we then used a Sencore LC102 impedance analyzer to dial
in the exact L and C network values. The SWR at 1825 kHz was 1:1 and no experimental tuning was needed. It's great when a plan falls together to the point where no adjustment is necessary - and TLW was a big part in making that happen.

Paul, W9AC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK