Topband: FCP adventures

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FCP adventures
From: Ralph Parker <ve7xf@dccnet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 02:12:48 +0000
Well, I finally got it up. The FCP is a little saggy on the three-legged
side, (probably due to the weight of those snazzy 6" Johnson ceramic
insulators that I've been hoarding for just such a project) and with a "T"
vertical section - 55' up and a three wire S-shaped horizontal top about
55' tip-to-tip, suspended between two towers (I have no trees).
I'm using the Balun Designs transformer.

Receiving comparisons with my old inv.L, via the K3 in diversity mode,
showed little difference, with maybe a slight edge going to the T/FCP.
So I've taken the inv.L down. They were quite close together anyway, and
I'm sure there was some interaction.

It seems to tune in the right place, with a nice dip at 1.820 as measured
on my MFJ, RigExpert and noise bridge. The problem is that the SWR at the
dip is about 2:1 on the analyzers, as measured at the antenna and in the
shack.
No luck getting it any lower, no matter what I do :-(

Measured at the antenna,
The MFJ   says: R=60  X=20
RigExpert says: R=60  X=40
Noise bridge  : R=50  XL=04 (not 40)

Until I get it under control, I thought that a 2:1 unun at the antenna
might keep my amps happy (the KPA500 shuts down, but the AL-1200 doesn't
mind much).

I know that my greater 160m problem is noise from the neighbours'
electrical gadgets, but on a city lot, it is what it is.

Any comments or suggestions from anyone, maybe from Mr. 'AV?

Ralph, VE7XF

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK