Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 04:09:55 +0000 (UTC)

George,

 While there may be many that disagree with me I love digital modes on 160. I
primarily use JT65 and it has been one of the reasons that I have worked Japan
and New Zealand on TB.  I use it primarily when my hearing disabillity kicks in
and my ears start ringing and I work CW the rest of the time. I can tell you
that my ears do not like CW close to the noise floor.  The frequencies and
modes most used (so far as I have heard) are 1.836 6 for WSPR, 1.838 for JT65
and also 1.838 for PSK31.  There may be other modes but they must be on other
frequencies because I have not heard them.  Simply put digital is the big
equalizer you can gain 30+ db over SSB by using digital modes that effectively
lets you compete with the Killowatts on the band (we dont use amplifiers on
digital modes). Let me know how you make out and maybe you will run into me on
JT65 as I leave it on freq most nights.

Jim WA3MEJ

p.s. Even digital contacts count for DXCC etc so go for it.

http://www.qsl.net/wa3mej/index.htm