Re: Topband: RX epiphany?

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX epiphany?
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:47:49 -0500
I agree with Tom's assessment. I wouldn't be too quick to give up on your tx 4 square. Having a tx 4 square, a 1/4 wave vertical, and an 8 circle rx array, I find the 4 square really does hear quite well. My man made ambient noise level is quite low (during daytime hours when the atmospheric noise is quiet, I see virtually no manmade noise). In my circumstances the 4 square tx array will dig down and hear those very weak signals (say -115 or -120 dbm, or even less) that the 8 circle array sometimes cannot hear due to the comparatively small size and capture area of the elements (mine are 26'). While the RDF of the 8 circle is better than the 4 square, when the atmosphere quiets down as temps drop and you become less noise limited, RDF is not such an important factor and you may well benefit from the gain of the tx 4 square array. . .both tx and rx. If, on the other hand, the atmospheric noise at your latitude does not drop significantly, the extra RDF of the 8 cir may be of some benefit.

73. . .Dave
W0FLS
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>