Re: Topband: 160m from 5X

To: "Nick Henwood" <nick@henwood.demon.co.uk>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m from 5X
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 14:45:28 -0400
I have been v QRV from 5X in past 5 years. Returning this Oct for 8 weeks and considering how best to get 160 on the air as it is the only band I have not worked and reckon there must be un-met need! I go to work (pro bono) at a community university so not a dxpedition but solo so plenty of time to get on the air. I carry all my gear with me. I am looking for help/advice in erecting a simple antenna which you guys can hear! I have access to roach poles (30 footers) and can get max height of about 50 feet. No high trees locally and insufficent room for beverage antennas. Contemplating a 50 ft vertical with capacity top loading and some induction at the feed point. I will get grounding as good as possible within local constraints(small site, vehicles near the house etc). What do you think?

Are you going to be single band or multiple band? Any interest in 80 with the antenna, or just 160?

Whatever you do, if you do it correctly, there will not be that much difference except in logistics and flexibility.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK