Re: Topband: "Missing" Buried Radials for a Monopole

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Missing" Buried Radials for a Monopole
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:17:22 -0400
> I should have stated that in the absence of radials, the coax will radiate
> instead due to the common mode current on the outside of the shield.
> That's
> a given.
>
> Let's forget that I said a small number of symmetrical radials, and assume
> a large number. You said "With four radials things look pretty good", but
> lets make it 60 or 120. And while we're at it, let's choke the heck out of
> the coax with lots of ferrite beads over the jacket. What percentage of
> the
> radiation comes from the radials then? Probably, it's pretty
> insignificant.
> (Maybe.  :-)

Power is I^2, so we can assume if we divide current between enough radials
each radial will not radiate much at any distance compared to the antenna.
We not only have cancellation at a distance, we have much less near each
radial.

Spreading things around is a good thing.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK