Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:26:30 -0500
Once I bought my little Mapp gas/oxygen torch, I stopped using a propane
torch because I HATE the way the flame changes when you tilt it. For
soft-soldering in a remote location, we can adjust it so that it has a tiny
flame; and when hard (silver) soldering is more appropriate, we just open
the valves a little more.

The suggestions about the butane units is probably better advice that mine,
but I used what I have available.

If we must use an electric soldering gun/iron in the field, there's always
small 12 volt gel-cells (like the batteries found in computer
battery-backup UPS units) and a cheap power inverter.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Jim Monahan <K1PX@msn.com> wrote:

> While I have used either a soldering gun with a long extension cord or a
> propane torch ...

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK