Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Soldering in the wild!
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 14:06:00 -0400
Ken,  what I use here to repair field connections is a small handheld
butane torch with an adjustable flame. Mine came from eBay for under 10
bucks and uses Benzomatic fuel for refill and does an awesome job.  Take
along some fine grit sandparer, a wire brush, and some flux.  I use
flexible butyl after first a light wrap of Scotch 33 Plus tape.

For WD-1A breaks, which a torch might eviscerate the finer wires, I use
some crimp butt connectors through and through instead of the the torch.

Herb, KV4FZ

On 8/4/2012 1:22 PM, Kenneth Grimm wrote:
> After suffering through our infamous "derecho" here in Virginia, I find
> that I've got a* lot* of repair work to do on my beverages.  Most of the
> breaks are in 450 ohm window line, located in remote areas and will require
> soldering.  My "non-AC electric" soldering equipment seems to have been
> lost in the last move and I need to outfit myself with a "wireless"
> soldering device!  I would be interested in what you use and if you are
> satisfied with the results.  Thanks.
>
> 73,

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK