Re: Topband: Peer Review

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Peer Review
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:10:31 -0400
> Good points regarding my statement about "proven architecture" - I should
> have more properly stated "as proven thus far by those in the field."

Hi Jack,

At this point "proven" is far too strong of a word, or the proven part is
not readily available.

Nothing I've read was "proven", except a new different system made some
people happier than an old messy system, or better than a totally unknown
system.

It's just like a Gotham vertical ad to date. :-)

New ideas are great, but things get on a very slippery slope when enthusiasm
exceeds objectivity, and we start embellishing results based on what we all
should know isn't good data. Unfortunately this happens time and time again.

I think the first step is explaining and verifying how a conductor can be a
counterpoise without having external fields.

The second step in any new design is comparing it to a KNOWN working system
with a measurement, not some random unknown messy thing by using logbook
results.

Let me give you an example of this. I had a dipole 300 ft high on a
broadcast tower in the 1970's. I thought it was a great antenna, even though
my 1/4 wave vertical a few miles away tied or beat it in almost every case.
I kept that "fact" out of my mind, because I liked the high dipole so much.
My best contest scores were using that dipole.

I installed one here, and tried it for years, but finally realized it was a
waste of time and operators here always did better overall with my vertical.
Even though A-B tests in the 70's showed my vertical worked better than the
dipole, I managed to find excuses to justify the high dipole antenna. It
took me years, and a few contests where **one operator used the dipole and
other used the vertical**, to fall out of love with the high dipole.

If we only used the dipole during any one contest, and could not track the
rate with an instant antenna change, I'm sure our rate would go up year
after year. This is because scores overall have been going up year after
year.

I still think about trying another one. :-)

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK