Re: Topband: K2AV FCP with 43' vertical

To: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K2AV FCP with 43' vertical
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:13:29 -0400
Hi Jim,

The FCP isolation transformer is not a balun.  It does NOT have a common
connection between the primary and secondary.  It is NOT broadband, which
is a specific goal of a balun. On the Balun Designs web page
www.balundesigns.com it is listed as "FCP transformer."   It is an RF
transformer, and has residual inductive reactance that has to be tuned out
in one way or another.  In the simple inverted L plus isolation transformer
plus FCP configuration, the left-over capacitive reactance from the FCP is
roughly equal to the inductive reactance of the isolation transformer.
 Neither device is resonant by itself.  They are resonant overall when used
in tandem.

The FCP isolation transformer is specific to a single band.  It takes extra
switched in/out tuning network circuitry to use a single FCP isolation
transformer on more than one band.

Its winding ratio is 1:1.  It's particular purpose is to not allow ANY
direct path between the ANT/FCP and the coax side.  One wire in the winding
is connected to the FCP and antenna.  The other wire is connected between
the coax center conductor and coax shield.

The 43' radiator has a number of problems on 160 which I am addressing in a
separate post.  It's feed impedance is but one of them.

73, Guy.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Call Balun Designs you can purchase an 1:2 un to un balun. Here you have a
> true way to feed a vertical. It works well for me.  If you can measure your
> input impedance at the feed point.  It should be around 25 to 35 ohms.
> You may have to re tune the vertical 43 feet is not exactly a quarter wave
> resonate on any ham band. Resonate freq should be around 5.4mhz you may
> have to add some aluminum wire.
> The K2AV FPC balun is a 1:2 unbalanced to balanced balun. The same company
> sells these as well.
> Stay on course, fight a good fight, and keep the faith.    Jim
>  K9TF/WA9YSD

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK