Re: Topband: Chokes, et. al. - what is the attenuation ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes, et. al. - what is the attenuation ?
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:19:34 -0400 (EDT)
I'm liking my current forcing, 1/4 wavelength and 3/4 wavelength coaxial baluns
more and more!

73
Frank
W3LPL

>For example, there is a limited range of conditions where an air-core

choke balun reduces common mode. Outside of that, the air core choke can

increase common mode. No one mentions that in articles about winding

air-core chokes.

>Our largest resource on common mode and baluns never looked once at

common mode system impedance, and right at the very start showed a

gross misunderstanding of the cause of unbalance. Virtually all that

book looked at was SWR and power under matched conditions with floating

loads. We worry about exact numbers being within 10%, while we assign

numbers to systems that are over the place. In the meantime, important

basics are completely overlooked or misunderstood.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK