Re: Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:33:33 +0000
> I then unplugged the power to the SSD and the garbage was still there.
> So I conclude that its my motherboard making the garbage when I boot using
> the SSD!?

SSD's draw substantially less power than a mechanical/rotating hard drive.

All mechanical drives draw off the +12V rail; SSD's generally only use power
from the 5V (or 3.3V for newer mSATA) rail.

Indeed switching power supplies may generate more hash without a load on a
particular output line.

It used to be the case for some DEC Q-bus computers, if you didn't have enough
hard drives plugged in to your system, there was a dummy load card to keep the
switching power supply tamed.

Tim N3QE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK