Re: Topband: Question about antenna bandwidth

To: "Rob Stampfli" <rob@cboh.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: Question about antenna bandwidth
From: k8gg@voyager.net
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 17:09:40 -0400 (EDT)

No, but if a variable capacitor is used the reactance nul can be moved up
or down the band for resonance.  This can also be done with a 5/16 wl
inverted-L which usually comes in close to 50 ohms resistance if you can
get close to 80 feet up and 80 feet out, making a good match for your
transmission line.

Any of the three antennas, 1/4 wl, 5/16 wl
and 3/8 wl, can be tuned in the shack easily with an L-net tuner like the
Ten-Tec model 229 or 238 or the military surplus Collins units, and the
SWR losses are negligible in the 160 meter band assuming good coax is
used.

73 & GL   George  K8GG

> If I were to extend my 1/4-wave inverted-L to a 3/8-wave L, and
tune
> out the inductance with a fixed capacitor at the base,
what would this
> do to the broadbandedness of the antenna?
>
> Inquiring minds...
> Rob / KD8WK

> UR RST IS ...
... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK