Re: Topband: Fwd: radals fer 160m vertcal

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: radals fer 160m vertcal
From: BP Veal <bryonveal@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 19:56:24 -0600
Gull Winged raised radials cut to resonance seem to be excellent above ground
radials-  But I am in a small yard, and have my MA160V hooked up to radials
going all over the yard, buried, of various lengths, 10-80 feet, about 60 of
them- it only goes out in about a 100 degree pattern as the antenna is in the
corner of the yard-they work as the resonance point and SWR bell curve really
are effected when they are hooked up-  15KHz of usable bandwidth at a 4:1 SWR
(matched with an UnUn to 1.5:1) vs 60KHz bandwidth without the radials at a
1:1.2 SWR, reflective of the hidden ground loss and impendence mismatch- -  so
even in a puny yard, with limited space, measured effect of buried radials can
be significant.......too many dogs and kids for raised radials.......

Bryon "Paul" Veal  MAED
FCC Amateur Radio License-N0AH
n0ah@arrl.net

> Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 18:34:31 -0700
> From: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: Fwd: radals fer 160m vertcal
>
> On 5/4/2012 5:52 PM, James Rodenkirch wrote:
> > What about radials above the ground? Like what I'm planning to install ---
> > base of the vertical at around 5' to 6' above ground and slope all of the
> > radials from that 5' or 6' point down to the ground?
>
> N6LF has published extensive work that he did on 40M showing that
> radials elevated only a feet or so were quite effective, and that a foot
> higher was better, but close to many radials on the ground. I tried
> scaling this to 160M, placing radials at about 5 ft. They were NOT
> particularly effective, and I had the chance to discuss the issue with
> N6BT, who has studied elevated radial systems extensively on 160M.
> Paraphrasing Tom, the earth at 160M is a rather different animal than it
> is at 40M. Tom suggested that 16 ft was a better height for a few
> elevated radials on160M, and I hope to move the ones on my experimental
> antenna to that height in the next month or so, perhaps even before
> leaving for Dayton.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK