Re: Topband: Small loop Performance (Clay Melhorn)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Small loop Performance (Clay Melhorn)
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:14:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Clay, Long time no see...

When I lived in Minooka in the  60's & 70's our old friend from Kankakee
who was with the TV cable  company fixed me up with a lot of "scraps" of half
inch and one inch 75 ohm foam  dialectric solid aluminum encased coax. Some
of it had a direct burial covering.  BTW, is he still in Alaska?

Anyway, I made a number of  shielded loops out of small pieces of the one
inch stuff. I figured the smaller  amount of capacitance-per-foot would
greatly improve the Q over the RG58   loops that Doug DeMaw and I had worked on
earlier. I wanted to see if I could  get enough signal voltage that I
wouldn't need an amplifier. Amplifiers had  always reduced the signal to noise
ratio in my experience. That was likely due  to the unavailability of low noise
devices as well as the lack of amp building  prowess on my part. Doug was a
lot better at that than me.

Nevertheless, it worked out for  me. I built a shielded loop about 10 feet
in diameter. There was a one inch  gap in the shield at the top. There was a
similar gap at the bottom to expose  the center conductor but the shields
were joined there. The center conductor was  cut at the bottom and a series
variable cap inserted. That tuned the loop  to 160. I had a lousy way of
connecting it to the coax into the  shack... just a series cap from one side of
the tuning cap to the coax  center conductor. The loop produced enough
signal voltage that an amplifier  wasn't needed.

I compared the loop's  performance when hung in a tree to having it mounted
on the side of the two  story garage with the shack upstairs. I couldn't
detect any difference,  Clay.

Later I made a few three turn  shielded loops of similar aluminum one inch
coax and a diameter of  about four feet. They used a single turn of bell
wire for a coupling  coil to the feedline. They were just as effective as the
big single turn  loop.

During this period I had a 130  foot vertical, two half wave dipoles about
1000 feet apart, a 2,600 foot  Beverage to the south, a 3000 foot Beverage
to the west and a 550 foot two-wire  reversible Beverage to the northeast or
southwest. There were other antennas  that could be used for 160 receive as
well.
The loops were occasionally the  best antenna to hear a particular
station... just as were all the rest. As I  reported in the June '77 QST
article on
the subject, even the connection to the  finger stop on the old dial
telephone in the shack worked pretty well at times.  I remember 160 contacts
that
could be best made listening on our tri-band  beam.

One other anecdote relates to  your question, Clay. Stew, W1BB asked me to
make one of the small three-turn  shielded loops for use at his "Tower"
station in downtown Winthrop. He said that  the urban noise was beginning to
cramp his style, even on his half  wave 270 feet above the ocean below. I made
the loop and got it to him. He  called later to say that it seemed to be as
noisy as the tower antenna and  wasn't helping.

In discussion I learned  that he had hoisted it up the water tower to 100
feet. I told Stew that the  feedline was acting like a vertical antenna and
suggested he bring it down and  mount it on the side of the little shed at
the base of the water tower  where he had his rig. He did that and reported
that it was making contacts  possible with stations he  couldn't hear on the
high dipole. There was no room whatsoever for other types  of receiving
antennas at that location. I know a couple guys who used those  loops to good
advantage with them located in their  basements!

Certainly the small loops are no  panacea, Clay. But, as my Grandma used to
say, "Beggars can't be  choosers."

If space, restrictions and  resources intervene, the small loop becomes an
important option.
I'll look for you on 160, Clay.  Joyce sez "Hello."

73, Barry,  W9UCW
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK