Topband: TB SEASON, PJ7PT etc

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: TB SEASON, PJ7PT etc
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:59:36 +0000 (UTC)

I have a problem with saying TB season is over.  It is just this.. if we as
DXers say it is over then others will stay away and it will become a self
fulfilling prophecy. In past years I have worked 160 all year long with the
only thing limiting me was the noise floor and qrn during summer season.  With
the addition of low noise antennas such as the Beverage and a rotatable K9AY or
equivelent there is no reason to stop TB operations. I have personally seen
some on this reflector working DX from south FL  during summer months. No small
feat with summertime noise. EXAMPLE: it is summer in the southern hemisphere
yet I worked many SA stations this year suring their summer.  If they vacated
the band during their summer I would not have worked them.

Also with reference to PJ7PT,  I managed to get into 7 of his 5 or so slots,
including TB.  This took a bit of time but I am very happy to have worked them
so many time.

Approaching my Jubilee year in Ham Radio I have started reflecting on what it
has taught me.  Of course there is always the normal things like electronics
etc but above all the most thing I have learned is patience, IMHO this is
something that many of our youth lack.  A good reason to get them into Ham
Radio classes

Jim WA3MEJ

Message: 7