Topband: Topband radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband radials
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:21:26 -0800
Years ago in the early 1960's when working in Bangor Maine at  WLBZ-TV and WLBZ
620 KHZ AM radio  (Now WZON radio) we had a weak AM ground wave signal. Could
hardly copy at Belfast about 25 miles
south on the coast.  Diagnosed the problem as ground losses and replaced many
radials, some of which had poor solder joints. After new radials were install
with silver solder connections, the  signal was strong down the coast south to
Portland, and copy able to the New Hampshire border. This was the daytime
non-directional pattern.  Why 120 radials, because they work.  More radials
also have less RF voltage at the ends to leak to the earth.  Think it was Tom
W8JI that said an antenna is working good, -Compared  to what?  Someone
recently said -ask the big signal guys what they have for antennas & grounds.
Sounds like good advice.
At this time in my life I am on a 1.3 acre lot that has a lot of iron and rust
in the wet rocky hill top. I no longer have the 1/8 wave 160 meter 4 square,
but having  fun working the pile ups.

73
Bruce-K1FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK