Re: Topband: PACER99@aol.com Subject: understanding 160 meter propagatio

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: PACER99@aol.com Subject: understanding 160 meter propagation
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:06:31 -0500 (EST)
It sounds like classic  "spotlight propagation," Larry. Happens a lot on
160. I feel lucky to have  experienced it several times over the last 58 years
on topband.  The most  memorable one for me occurred about 8 years ago on a
Saturday evening.

I called CQDX about sunset and  didn't expect much because the usual early
spots by East Coasters were not  showing up on the "Summit." Several Russian
and eastern European stations  answered me. Reports were 579 to 599 both
ways. It continued until sunrise in  the British Isles as I worked my way
across the continent. By that time reports  were more like 449 to 569. I worked
about 100 stations. I hardly heard any  stations east of the Mississippi
work any EU that night.

On Sunday morning I had an eMail  from John, ON4UN asking me what I was
running last night because the only  strong stations he was hearing was me and
K9DX. Well, for me it was a  spotlight propagation burst... for John, K9DX
it was that fantastic layout  he had. I was running an OMNI 6+ and a TenTec
Hercules solid state amp at 500  watts into a 520' horizontal loop at 50'.

Boy, was that fun!
73, Barry

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK