Re: Topband: Noise problem question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise problem question
From: w7dra@juno.com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:37:43 -0800

if i may quote my neighbor trying to find his 160m receiver noise
problems:

mike w7dra
Hi Mike, there were four (4) major noise sources:

(1)  A wall wart power supply for my Comcast cable converter box and it
was located about as far away from the radio as you get without going
outside. Just unplugging it dropped the noise level on 3.600mHz from S9+
to S5.

(2)  An old computer that was not even turned-on but still plugged in. It
was producing a 60 over S9 signal on 1.818mHz. Unplugging it dropped the
noise to S3.

(3)  A 3 Way touch lamp in the living room. Every very time I transmitted
on 80 or 40, the lamp changed it?s setting to Low-Medium or High. I
should have had a clue because the noise level on the radio would change
to a different level after each transmission. For some reason, I passed
it off as the automatic antenna tuner re-tuning with each transmission.
(It was not the tuner.)

(4)  The last noise source was coming from the wiring going to the
garage. There is a CFL bulb out there that I keep on 24/7 and it is
located right under one of my radials. I have a flat roof and my vertical
and radial system are located on top of the house. Noise on the wiring in
the ceiling was getting into the radio because the house wiring was right
below the radials. (Something I did not think about when I put the
antenna up there.)

I?m amazed how many signals I can now hear on 160.

Hal
W7YNC

Mortgage Rates Hit 2.50%
White House Program Cuts Up To $1000 Off Monthly Mortgage Payments! (3.1% APR)
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ef0e45bab106c6f0e8st06vuc
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK