Re: Topband: Bev. and power lines.

To: Neil G0JHC <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev. and power lines.
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:14:07 -0500
I have two Flags less than 100 ft from 75 ft high 69kv lines.  They are
thankfully quiet except for one single insulator bank 1/2 mile away but I can
totally null it with the MFJ1025 and a sense antenna right under the lines.  I
get excellent cardiod patterns on each and the NE facing one points right to
the lines.  I can fully null out strong NE signals when switching to the SW
facing flag and vice versa.   However I suspect the 6 1 inch alum lines (3 on
each side of the tower) somehow weakens DX levels on 160 overall in the
vicinity and only when they are emergized. This is when they are quiet too (the
noise from the lousy single insulator bank I mentioned is totally gone in the
rain). They turn this line off periodically but mostly in the daylight hours.

I am only guessing that the fields around these lines somehow attenuated signal
levels because stations not far from me can often hear stuff much louder and
many times hear things I simply cannot detect regardless of noise levels being
low. I am in hilly terrain however and not out in the open.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 15, 2011, at 11:44, "Neil G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I would be interested to hear how "close" any one has put a Beverage to the
> base of a  power line tower (which is radio quiet) before they have started
> to couple noise in to the receiver.
>

> I am not talking about the 11kv or so lines on 30ft wooden poles, but the
> big 100kv+     100-150ft towers lines.
>

> Have any of you had experience of this?
>

> I would obviously never put a Bev. under the lines, but wonder how close
> subscribers  have got and "got away with it". Or have  had to pull back
> until the noise has gone.
>

> 20m? 50m? 100m?
>

> I am aware of the safety issues and have those covered.
>

> Thanks for your experiences.  Good or bad.
>

> Neil G0JHC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK