Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower

To: Top Band List List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:05:00 -0800
Joe, W4TV,

Thanks for the info on the insulators. !    I just ordered some myself.
These are great for making a fat gamma rod as you indicated.
(They are a little pricey though, a whopping 35 cents apiece!   hihihi)
Here is the webpage on R&L for these insulators if anybody wants to check it
out.
http://store.rlham.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=66844

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On Dec 15, 2011, at 7:17 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> On 12/15/2011 7:27 AM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:
>
>> Of course, a grounded, shunt-fed, top-loaded tower isn't exactly the
>> same as a full-size half-wavelength Yagi driven element, but the
>> comparison is at least a good starting point.
>
> That is true but a 100 foot tower with decent sized 20M monobander or
> 24 foot boom tribander with the front/back elements grounded and a
> short 40 meter yagi will most certainly have a natural resonant point
> below 1.8 MHz.  Additional side mounted yagis will further lower the
> resonant point.  A tower with resonant point below 1.8 MHz will have
> a higher impedance which will transform badly in a "gamma" with high
> "element to rod ratio" and narrow spacing.
>
>> I don't support the weight of the entire rod -- which consists of
>> stepped diameters of plumbing tubing -- that way — I simply "steady"
>> the top portion while making electrical connection to the tower at
>> the tap point.
>
> R and L Electronics (www.randl.com) has insulators for "cage" dipoles.
> They are about 3.5" OD with 12 1/4" holes on a roughly 3" diameter and
> make excellent insulators for a "fat" gamma rod.  One can use 3, 4, or
> 6 wires in the cage and achieve effective diameters between 2 and 3 inches.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 12/15/2011 7:27 AM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:
>> Many shunt-fed, loaded towers on 160 exhibit narrow bandwidth and are
>> difficult to match with a single series capacitor for one simple
>> reason:
>>
>> The gamma rod (shunt wire) is TOO CLOSE to the tower.
>>
>> A few years ago, after struggling with Omega matches in conjunction
>> with MANY trips up my tower, I modeled my system with EZNEC.  For me,
>> the "sweet spot" was to position the gamma rod SEVEN (7) FEET from
>> the tower!
>>
>> For my tower (92 feet of Rohn 45, 8 feet of mast above it, shorty 40
>> at 97 feet and 4-el. 20-m monobander at 92 feet), the tap point is 57
>> feet up.
>>
>> My minimum SWR (in a 50-ohm system) at my center frequency is around
>> 1.4:1, but my 2.0:1 SWR bandwidth increased (with no change in my
>> skimpy radial field) to over 75 kHz as a result of my modeling
>> efforts.
>>
>> Having struggled with Omega matches for years before that, the
>> present setup is a joy.
>>
>> One way to get in the ballpark without doing any serious modeling is
>> to think about the gamma matches you've probably seen (and maybe even
>> used) on your 20-meter beams.  Very roughly, since 160 meters is 1/8
>> the frequency of 20 meters, all things being equal, the gamma rod
>> spacing on 160 should be eight times what it is on 20.  If your
>> 20-meter gamma rod is 7 or 8 inches from your driven element, that's
>> equivalent to 5 or 6 feet on 160.  Of course, a grounded, shunt-fed,
>> top-loaded tower isn't exactly the same as a full-size
>> half-wavelength Yagi driven element, but the comparison is at least a
> [...]

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK