Topband: Crazy RX antenna Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Crazy RX antenna Question
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:34:00 -0500
I typically use a 1/4 WL inverted L on TB, with 23 or so radials that are
NOT in a 360 deg ring around the feed.. they go from about 340-65deg ( even
spaced ) and NO more than 60' long.
Obviously reception is not great, but when sigs are REALLY super good fore
most.. I hear DX...barely.

I live in a big city and all their CATV feed is above ground..behind my
home running the length of my block ( well over 1000' ) and at about a
height of 13' is the CATV feed, here goes the crazy question...
Has any one ever tried to use the SHIELD of their CATV house drop.. for a
VERY long RX antenna?

I do realize other ppl are 'wired in' and that there are CATV amps all
along that line..as well as consumer products, TV's ect ect  again more
curious than anything.

On my TS940S I have a RX only port that I could try this on, but dont want
to just do it w/o asking the 'been there done that' crowd.

Also.. I do not subscribe to Cable TV or Internet or VOIP Service FWIW.

Yes I really realize this is a very outlandish question.. but Im very
curious, and I dont want to just 'try it' and then damage something. If
there is no voltage measurable on the Shield .. would it still possibly
damage the rig if I gave it a try?

Almost embarrassed to sign this email,

DE

-Steve Raas N2JDQ