Re: Topband: Some Success

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Some Success
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:38:27 -0400
Question:  Is there any penalty for using an Omega match except for a
possible slight  bandwidth reduction over a LC. CLC or LCL network?
(Whatever is appropriate) This also assumes using silver planted flat
wound air coils and vacuum caps of the appropriate size. IMHO....There
is  not much out there that can't beat climbing up and down a tower in
the winter.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

On 12/15/2011 7:30 AM, Pete Smith wrote:
> I would try to find that sweet spot first, because if you're like me,
> you never will.  I have stacked tribanders, a 2-el 40-meter beam and an
> 80 meter lazy-v array all on one tower.  I modeled the thing and found
> where (supposedly) the 50-ohm point would be.  After about 5 trips up
> and down the tower, without finding anything even remotely close to 50
> ohms over a +/- 15 foot range, I gave up and just left the omega match
> in place.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK