Topband: Shunt fed tower

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Shunt fed tower
From: John Harden <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 06:51:12 -0500
I've been reading all of the posts about the 160 shunt feeds...

I have a 100 foot 45G tower festooned with monobanders from 80 - 10
meters. Because of the monobanders my 4-wire cage is only 30 feet high.
The series capacitor is a 1000 pfd vacuum variable and the shunt
capacitor is 2000 pfd (This was necessary to get a good swr). Even with
the 4 wire cage the bandwidth is not very wide.

However I placed a 12 VDC, 1 RPM motor on the shunt capacitor and I can
tune it from the shack remotely. The motor needs to be 1 RPM so you can
tune accurately. I got it from Digi-Key and you reverse directions by
simply changing the polarity with a DPDT toggle switch. It is made by
Cramer in CT.  It is # CRA201-ND.

A complicated arrangement with limit switches is not necessary. Once you
find the correct point on the rotation you simply move around that point
to do the tuning. 12 VDC should be applied with a SPST normally open,
push-button switch.

73,

John, W4NU
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK