Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6/U & Snap n Seal connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:25:46 -0800
On 12/12/2011 9:34 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> After stripping off the jacket you need to fold back the braid over the
> jacket and then slide the connector on.  It should not be terribly
> difficult but they do not slide on without resistance.

About eight years ago, I bought a fairly expensive T&B tool, a nice
stripper, and moderate quantities of six different connectors to fit
different coax types, and attempted to use them with some quad shielded
Commscope RG6 to rewire my home in Chicago for FM and TV antenna
distribution. Not one of them went onto the cable without effort, and
not one of them stayed on the cable with even the slightest pull. I had
similar results with other RG6 cables after I moved to CA a few years
later.

Over the years, with considerable experimentation (and a fair number of
wasted connectors), I've learned that, even with the "right" connector,
I must twist the connector onto the cable with considerable force using
vice-grip pliers, then crimp it.  I am currently using Paladin
connectors and a $20 Paladin crimper that I bought at Fry's a year or so
ago. I bought two jars, one color coded black and the other violet. They
seem to work equally well with the RG6 that I have, and I can't pull
them off once they are on.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK