Re: Topband: Nice QRPP QSO / Bandplan

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Nice QRPP QSO / Bandplan
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:42:58 -0500
Ive found @ least here on the E.coast,in my VERY LIMITED time on TB  that
1800-1815 seems to be CW/QRP, CW/Rag chewing, & General CW however you want
to call it + W1AW Code Practice/Bullitens @ 1802.5

1815-1835 PPl looking for DX and DX stations (CW)

1835-1840 Digital JT65, PSK31 DX INCLUDED , With JT65 Being @ 1838 USB DIAL
QRG

1840-1900 + SSB/AM

Above 1900 All ive ever heard was SSB... I cant TX there so i dont
personally know the norm.

Problem with the IARU 'RECOMENDED" Band Plan is if we all stuck to
that...then No or FEW Intl Digital QSO's wld take place. And the U.S. QRP
community would just see all this digi stuff,
I go where the majority is, I wont be cq'ing on JT65 @ 1.807.. because no
one is there, been there ..tried that... not to mention that digi modes
like JT65 that take a Solid Minute to decode, you cant just VFO hunt for
them like CW & RTTY ect..especially when ALOT of JT65 Sigs are
unaudible..not all of them.

For domestic CW QSO's 1800-1815 I would personally say is a good spot with
1810 being the typicall QRP calling QRG.  1815-1835 is where u will find
the hunters of dx..  I will amend my aformentioned sentence by saying
RARELY do I hear any one QRP or QRO making  domestic CQ's  below 1809..
with the bulk from 1809-1815, altho it does happen from time 2 time
especially durring contest time. This is also not to say that some DX isnt
here, im sure they are, as the information that I can find shows Japan
having allocations from 1810-1825 and then a large gap and then again from
1907.5-1912.5.

Also know where the GL is, and keep in your head that ppl may be looking
for propagation to that area  ( dark - to - GL  or GL-to-GL ) especially if
there is or has been recent prop to that area.. If you hear for instance
some one @ 1815 calling 'CQ ASIA' ( As I hear alot durring GL,  then you
know.. that there is a probability of prop to that area and to give room.
Watch the DX cluster, And the skimmer Pages close.( www.Hamspots.net
pskreporter.info ect ect )

I personally frequently call ' CQ WEST ' on 160 CW.. or.. 'CQWUS' meaning
CQ Western US on JT65 following MY DARK - to - GL path.. looking for
western states on 160.. this isnt when I want to rag chew with someone
south of me. Or a state away. Mabey CQ GL wld be a better option.. but then
im sure some one will think im CQ'ing to wish some one good luck, hihi. (
Common Sense area )

When if comes to 160m its best to know where you want to work.. and then
know what their allocations are, Because even where there is,
 geographically a bulk of countries, such as Europe, many of their
allocations are different on 160m.

In regards to SSB, I dont think in my short time on the band, Ive ever
heard a SSB or AM signal below 1845 with the majority above 1850.

Have fun, enjoy the band(s)

P.S. Shameless plug - I am looking for
AK-AZ-CA-HI-ID-KS-MS-NV-NM-OK-OR-SD-TX-UT on 160,  JT65 or CW prefered.

73's

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM, James Rodenkirch
<rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>wrote:

> Too funny:  There's the "plan" as listed by Ken...
>
> Then, you go to the AC6V web site and you find this:
>
> 1.810 QRP CW Calling
> frequency
>
> 1828.5 --
> DXpeditions CW Operations are frequently here
>
> 1.830-1.840 CW,
> RTTY and other narrowband modes, intercontinental QSOs only
>

> 1.840-1.850 CW, SSB, SSTV and other wideband modes, intercontinental QSOs
> only
>

> 1.825 - SSB QRP Calling Freq
>
> 1910 - SSB QRP Calling
> Freq
>
> Then, you go to the ARRL web site and you find THIS!
>
> 1.800 - 2.000
>            CW
>        1.800 - 1.810
>            Digital Modes
>        1.810
>            CW QRP
>        1.843-2.000
>            SSB, SSTV and other wideband modes
>        1.910
>            SSB QRP
>        1.995 - 2.000
>            Experimental
>        1.999 - 2.000
>            Beacons
> Now, I don't really care, as long as SSB operators stay away from the
> lower end of the band 'cuz I'll just find a nice spot at the lower end to
> call CQ or look for other operators as far up as my loading coil "lets me,"
> so to speak and not worry too much about it.  Just wish more hams got on
> Top Band - love the excitement of working someone on the east coast, for
> instance, at 0500 local time (as I did with AA1K a month or so back) with
> QRP power.  Just to be able to get on Top Band is a big plus for me with my
> limited space for a low band antenna...!
>
> 72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV
> QRP ARCI Contest Manager
>

> > From: wa8jxm@gmail.com
> > Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:52:05 -0500
> > To: deswynar@xplornet.ca
> > CC: TOPBAND@CONTESTING.COM
> > Subject: Re: Topband: Nice QRPP QSO
> >

> > On Dec 11, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Eddy Swynar wrote:
> >
> > > One bit of advice, though: save yourself a LOT of potential grief, &
> limit operations between 1800- & 1810-KHz, i.e. the extreme bottom 10-KHz
> of the band. Apart from the W1AW code practice sessions there, that part of
> the band is usually unoccupied. If you call CQ QRP anywhere from about
> 1812- to 1835-KHz, you could well incur the wrath of the DX crowd hunting
> their quarry therein...! Be forewarned...
> >
> > The Ham world needs to get their act together!     Not complaining about
> your advice Eddy, but just yesterday I found the IARU recommended 160m
> bandplan (dated October 2010):
> >
> > 1800-1810   digi modes
> > 1810-1830   CW
> > 1812            QRP
> > 1830-1840   DX window
> >
> > Isn't it nice that the amateur radio bureaucrats are totally
> disconnected from reality?
> >
> > I try to be cooperative but in truth I can't figure out where in the
> [...]
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK