Re: Topband: 160-Meter propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160-Meter propagation
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 05:50:51 -0600
> Also on Dec 6, George W8UVZ commented that the band isn't as poor as some
> would suggest.

> With respect to solar min versus solar max, the old adage that 160-Meters
> is best at solar min is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. We've
> heard 160 is worse at solar maximum, so we don't get on much then. Anyway
> it's easier to work the world on 10-Meters with S9 signals at solar max
> rather than signals at our noise level on 160. If you dig into the physics
> of the nighttime ionosphere at solar min and solar max, you won't find a
> huge difference. In my opinion, based on this and on log data by those who
> hang around on 160 during solar max, there's lots of DX to be worked at
> solar max, too. I remember W8JI worked over 200 countries and all 40 zones
> at solar max of Cycle 23 around 2000. Sure, he's got a great station and
> locale, but much of that effort was just being there day after day.

It's been interesting to read different people's perspectives of conditions
on TB.  I'm an active topbander, being on the band at least three or four
times a week both morning and evening.  I've continued this pattern of
activity since 1987.  I have been at my present rural, low noise QTH since
1996.  The station here consists of a full size four square, a quarter wave
vertical w/elevated ground radials, and various receive antennas over the
years (currently a Hi-Z 8 circle array which works quite well).

While I can't speak for others, the propagation conditions here in the
Midwest (Iowa) have been very poor.  This is in keeping with the consistent
inverse correlation between the QSOs in my log and SFI over the past 24
years.  That correlation during the past year or so when the SFI has
increased substantially is striking.  Gone are the days when it was common
to work 15 or 20 EU stations (or more) during an evening session with
signals from the more prominent stations being S9.  With conditions this
season it's often been a struggle work two or three EU stations in an
evening.  Prominent EU stations are often just workable.  Many evenings
yield no EU contacts at all even though DX stations are spotted and are
actually QRV.  The same thing goes for working JA stations in the morning.
Big stations such as JR7VHZ or JA7NI are now just copyable as opposed to
having S9 signals.  Two and three years ago it was not uncommon for me to
work Zones 17, 18, & 19 both morning and evening.  That would never happen
today (and it doesn't!).

Of course, there are occasional exceptions when conditions are a little
better but  nothing approaching conditions during the sunspot low.  While I
am no expert on the physics of propagation, my log speaks for itself.  The
overall pattern and inverse relationship between QSOs and the SFI over the
past 24 years has been consistent.

73 and Seasons Greetings to all. . .Dave
W0FLS

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK