Re: Topband: Zero Beat

To: "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com>, <wrcromwell@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Zero Beat
From: "VE6WZ_Steve" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:12:38 -0700
I think this zero beat issue is being a bit "over-done" in my opinion.....It
is not a requirement to be zero beat is it?
Reasons for non-zero beat:

1.) some (as others have mentioned) will purposely call off beat to avoid
the crowd......I do this very often on DX using my XIT, even in a contest I
will call off frequency if I notice the DX is working slightly off. If you
have ever worked a pile with everyone zero beat you will know it can be
almost impossible.

2.) SKIMMERS/Packet (big cause of off-beat)......many callers during a
contest are using "point and shoot".  Click the spot on the band map and
call......they are using the packet/skimmer RBN spot QRG and call without
fine tuning the QRG. I have done this myself and I get the QSO and move on.
No problem.

3.) maybe some don't know how to zero beat exactly even if they wanted to.

de steve ve6wz.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK