Re: Topband: Flag/Pennant Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Flag/Pennant Question
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:01:54 -0500
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 21:49:40 -0500
  W2PM <w2pm@aol.com> wrote:
> Why would you do that?
>
> >> I'm wondering if anyone has ever built or modeled a
>>multi-turn flag or pennant antenna. I'm thinking maybe an
>>odd number of turns with the resistor in the middle of
>>the middle turn.
>> --Art Delibert, KB3FJO

Art,

I have tried it (what the heck, why not?). Using a 2m x 2m
loop, 1m above average ground: The F/B (better than 25 dB)
and RDF (7.8 dB) are the same as a single turn loop. Gain
is higher by 2 dB (-46 dBi). Needs three separate loads,
one on each of the back-side vertical wires. This antenna
would be hard to match due to high and highly reactive
feed point impedance. I believe it is not worth the
trouble for the small increase in gain.

Cheers,

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK