Re: Topband: Daisey Chained ground rods

To: herbs@vitelcom.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Daisey Chained ground rods
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:12:04 -0500
I'd ask the question differently. If you have "before" data, and can
remeasure after you hook them together to get some "after" data, and
you are trying to advance science, go for it.  But otherwise begin
from "if it ain't broke don't fix it."   What is wrong, and what do
you KNOW you stand to gain by doing it?   If nothing, go fix an amp,
string up another beverage to cover Bora Bora, or put your feet up and
have a beer.  Personally, my gut says not to involve new miscellaneous
conduction paths with working antennas. Why give an antenna ANOTHER
common mode path into the feed to clean up?

The great universal ground that sucks everything up, covers everything
up, absorbs everything, does not exist. You have dirt,
semi-conducting, semi-transparent at MF.  A beverage is not a
well-understood antenna, because it depends on dirt, and dirt is not
well-understood. We got some voodoo in every beverage, and don't know
why the magic words work.

If you say "thick conducting rods in the semi-conducting,
semi-transparent-at-MF dirt", it sounds and feels different than
"ground rods", does it not?

73, Guy.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net> wrote:
> Is there any cause for concern hooking two grounds together for separate
> Beverages?   I have a a single wire Beverage that runs 600 feet to the
> East and and another that runs 600 feet to the West.  The ground rods
> are 6 feet apart.  I use spiders on both 4x 30' and earth is moderate to
> good conductivity as a former hay field now covered with high grasses..
> Is there any advantage or disadvantage from connection of the two ground
> rods  together with a #8 bare copper jumper?
>

> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK