Re: Topband: Small loop in Inv L to secure wire to tower

To: Dan Bookwalter <N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM>, topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Small loop in Inv L to secure wire to tower
From: Gary and Kathleen Pearse <pearse@gci.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:20:30 -0900
The insulator loop will work. Anything that amounts to a strain relief will
work.

What I do in a very similar situation is tie some nylon cord (in a series of
about 10 tight half hitches) around my insulated vert wire, than tie the cord
to the feed point balun box mounted on the supporting tree. The cord grips the
wire's covering. I make the cord short enough so that all the stress is on the
cord, and the wire simply makes a small half loop below the wrapped cord to the
feed.

I trim the resonant frequency by shortening or lengthening the vert wire via
one or more fold-backs of excess in the wire taped tightly to the main vertical
run. I'm using seven tuned elevated radials on a small lot, and the resonant
freq shifts as the ground and trees freeze and thaw in Alaska.

Gary NL7Y

> I am putting up my Inv-L , one thing I fear is that if the wire breaks at the
> feed point I will lose the wire as if goes thru the pulley at the top of the
> tower. Is it ok to have a small loop about 3-4 ft above the feed point around
> an insulator , so I can secure it to the to the tower so that in the event of
> a break at the feed point I don't lose the antenna.
>
> thanks
>
> Dan N8DCJ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK