Topband: HOLY COW.. what price copper !!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: HOLY COW.. what price copper !!
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:38:59 +0000 (UTC)

For the last 40 plus years now I have been using copper water pipe as part of
my ground system.

Since my old pipe had eroded , coroded and otherwise deteriorated I decided to
remove it and

install a new one... BAD CHOICE.

What I normally do is drill several smallish holes down the length at various
points around the pipe.

Then I drive it into the ground with a an adaptor that helps to prevent
mushrooming (notice I didnt say

that it prevented it).

The whole idea of this pipe is that I drive it in the ground next to my ground
rod (occasionally I have used

IT as the ground rod when I have been in my cheap mode.  I then use an adaptor
to hook it to a hose

and siphon.  The purpose of the shiphon is that I mix a saturated solution of
coper sulfate put it into

a one gallon milk jug and with the siponn in the milk jug turn the hose on.
The siphon can be purchased

at garden stores for adding fertilizer etc. to a garden. This works really well
and after I have done this

for a few months the ground conductivity is greatly enhanded.

Oh  back to my original comment.. HOLY COW what price copper... so I stopped by
the local

Lowes to pick up a piece 1" copper pipe and the damn thing cost nearly $30.
YIKES.

Last time I bought a pipe.. it was something like $7.. but that has been 5 or 6
years ago.

I didnt expect to have to take out a second mortgage to purchase a simple piece
of pipe.

Jim WA3MEJ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK