Re: Topband: Hindering factors in the science of back yard 160m vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hindering factors in the science of back yard 160m vertical installations
From: Brian Machesney <nekvtster@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:04:59 -0500
Mr. Fry,

I'm confused by your assertion that, "The [BL&E] data gathered is
applicable to other frequencies for antenna systems having the same
conductor dimensions in wavelengths."

Your paper titled, "Frequency and Earth Conductivity as Factors in MW Field
Intensity(1)," indicates that frequency has a pronounced effect on field
intensity. Further, you write that, "Groundwave radiation in the AM
broadcast band... can penetrate the earth to the depth of several tens of
meters." According to my limited understanding of "skin effects," such
penetration decreases with increasing frequency. Would your assertion not
be true only in the case of earth which is homogeneous with respect to
conductivity to a depth of several tens of meters?

73 -- Brian -- K1LI

(1)
http://rfry.org/Software%20Download/Freq%20and%20Conductivity%20as%20Factors%20in%20MW%20Field%20Intensity.pdf

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Richard Fry <rfry@adams.net> wrote:

> >Tests for a given frequency need to be done on that frequency.
>
> The BL&E tests were designed to determine the "efficiency" of monopole
> antenna systems, as shown by the groundwave field they produce close enough
> to the monopole so that the effects of frequency and earth conductivity are
> negligible.  The data gathered is applicable to other frequencies for
> antenna systems having the same conductor dimensions in wavelengths.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK