Re: Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 09:21:55 -0500
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM, <wa3mej@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I am getting ready to put up a beverage for top band.  I have decided that
>> I want to put up a two wire system using window line because of the ease of
>> assembly.  I am not sure if I will use it in the null steering mode or just
>> switch from front to back.

Hi Jim,

I think length IS critical in the matter of Beverage antennas, and the old
axiom of "...the longer, the better" may not especially hold true...

I am speaking from personal experience here. I have a 1,500-foot long Beverage
(extended from an original length of some 500-feet), that runs north-south, &
is terminated at the south end. My southern K9AY consistently out performs the
Beverage, hands-down, when listening to South American stations. I am seriously
contemplating trimming the 1,500' length back by two thirds...

Before doing so, however, there are a number of things that I need to
experiment with, i.e. (A) taking the pre-selector OUT of line more, when
listening on the Beverage (signals are much stronger with the wire than they
are with the K9AY anyway), and, (B) doing side-by-side comparisons during the
dead of winter, when the ground is frozen & conductivity of same changes (my
Beverage traverses a very wet, boggy, almost marshy tract of land for over half
its length, which can't be especially "good" for its performance).

If my experiences with the Beverage is the same in January as it is now, then I
think I'll definitely trim it back...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK