Re: Topband: bottom fed antenna causing broad band signal?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: bottom fed antenna causing broad band signal?
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:40:04 -0700
On 2011-10-24 4:10 PM, BRYON PAUL n0ah VEAL wrote:
> I have a good friend who has a 1/4 wave 80 foot vertical (63 feet) who
> decided to put a 100 foot coil to bottom feed the antenna for 160M.  Using a
> tuner, (no UnUN) he is resonant at 1.830 but the signal is very broad banded
> at 4 miles away. Originally, he started with a coil made of 50 feet of copper
> and was resonant at 1.890Mhz.  Any red flags with this design to warrant this
> problem of hearing him 30KHz wide, (10 up, 20 down) ?? On the scope, the
> signal looks very clean, and I only see it 3-5 Khz wide, as I would expect.
> Hut he is transmitting CW on LSB using CW software.  The coil is only around
> 2 1/2 inches wide- I am thinking larger turns would be less of a coil-  Any
> suggestions appreciated- this is not an antenna I understand very well but
> would like to get some input- The station is very clean for issues but is the
> coil suspect-  I think I would just gone with an Inv L....... hihi
> Please feel free to respond to n0ah@arrl.net.
>
> Paul  N0AH

Base loading coils for short verticals can have a very high RF voltage
across them (and also the base insulator).  If he's running high power,
there's a chance there is some arcing going on.

Maybe he's inadvertently running "spark gap" instead of CW.

73, Terry N6RY

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK