Re: Topband: 160m antenna test

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m antenna test
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:27:19 -0500
I have had some questions about what frequency(s) I plan to operate

I usually do S&P,
since I doubt my abilities to hold a frequency with 300mw
I considered trying to set a range,
maybe the some where around the QRP frequencies 1810 & 1812
but if I remember correctly the band tends to fill up from the bottom up
and many of the big guns tend to hang out there
staking claim on those frequencies...?

I also considered doing S&P most of the time
and selecting a frequency(s) like 1810 to 1812
and trying to find a run frequency there at certain times
like perhaps @ 15 and 45 past the hour....?

I'm open for suggestions
how I might get the most out of the band
in the times from SS -1hr  to  SR +2-3 hrs ?

TIA

--
GB & 73
K5OAI

On 10/21/2011 2:03 PM, Sam Morgan wrote:
> For those wishing to give their RX antennas a real world test....
>
> I will be operating QRP in the Pre Stew Perry this weekend,
> from DM91, central West Texas, San Angelo to be specific.
>
> Now for the added treat, my 5w qrp signal, will be transmitted from
> a 7' tall Hi-Q 6/160 antenna, mounted @ 20' with 16 radials, ea 13' long.
>
> At the claimed 6% efficiency, that means my ERP should be about 300mw.
>
> Operating times will be from SS -1hr  to  SR +2-3 hrs
> or about 2300 UTC Sat - 1600 UTC Sun
>
> a couple of hrs sleep may be optional
> depends if the contacts go dead after 3-4am local CDT   8-9 UTC
>
> Good luck, hope to be in your logs by contests end on Sunday
>
> P.S.
> how active the results of this Pre Stew Perry are, will help decide
> if I will operate QRP 5w x %6=300mw or 100w x 6%=6w in the Stew Perry
>
> it's great to give out the QRP/s times 4 contact points,
> but if the number of QSO's is so low, as to be boring...
> (pun intended, hi hi)
>
> I may have to opt for running as a big gun QRO 100w x 6%=6w tx signal
> in the November Stew Perry and only be worth 2 contact points.
>
> your log entry will help decide, TIA
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK