Re: Topband: 4W6A

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 4W6A
From: Steve HA0DU <ha0du@dx.hu>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:06:35 +0200
Hi TopBanders,

I was unable to be at the rig on Sunday, the 18th (when they worked a
lot of EUs including HA9RE). I spent the next five evenings at the
station. (FTDX-5000MP with micro-tune, Beverages, Delta loop, linear)
On the 19th they went QRT at our sunset. Later I worked VK3PA from the
same direction, so the band was in good shape.
On the 20th I copied 4W6A when they worked LY7M and Italians. Best copy
was 339 to 449. I called, but no QSO ( someone gave me a very quick
HA0DU 599 on their TX frequency, but that signal was much stronger than
the one I tried to dig out of noise for hours...
The following days they were not active on 160. On the 22nd I worked
them on 80 SSB and I heard the op saying to G3BJ they will be on 160 the
next night. They were not there on Friday though.
They worked 112 Europeans, but surprisingly the
SP-OK-OM-HA-YO-9A-E7-YU-LZ region accounts for only 4 QSOs TOTAL
SP-OK-OM-HA 1 each). So it was not only me who did not hear them, but
the whole region had very little propagation. However, the region West
of us from OH through SM, DL, OE, S5 down to I had 63 QSOs, and
G/GM/GW/F had 16 QSOs.
There are no EA, EA6, OZ, PA or ON stations in their log. I am not quite
a propagation expert, but from the relatively sharp boundaries between
the "go" and "no go" regions I derived that their signal probably came
in under a high angle.
Considering the number of CW operators (2), the time of the year, the
unexpectedly high sunspot activity and the equatorial noise, I must say
they did a good job and worked a lot more Europeans than any previous 4W
operation.
The fact that I missed them (just like I missed 4W/N6FF and 4W3ZZ
before) does not make me happy at all, but I would not criticize them -
they did what they had to do. I do hope someone still finds it
worthwhile to organize another 4W operation and I can work this
relatively "easy" one.

73 Steve HA0DU

On 27/09/2011 10:57, ik4gme wrote:
> ......and judging by the response, an excellent  showing was made on 160M.
> Thanks once again..
> Kev
> M0TNX
> Assistant QSL manager/web admin
>

> Just out of curiosity, I'd like to read lots of comments from the other
> European topbanders .
>
> 73 John  IK4GME

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK