Re: Topband: Effect of current max not at base of vertical.

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of current max not at base of vertical.
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:30:52 -0400
EZNEC's "fresh water" selection shows a conductivity of .001 (very
unconductive). So it's talking about Great Lakes fresh water away from urban
polution.  Question would be how conductive the swamp water is.  I would
personally guess that if the area is heavily vegetated and slow draining,
the conductivity would be higher due to dissolved compounds produced by
submerged rotting vegetation.

Anybody care to go out in the middle of your local freshwater swamp and
stick ohmmeter probes down there?  The conductivity may even be layered,
since the water with dissolved materials will weigh more and the more fresh
will lay on top.

If really stinky "fresh" water marsh is as conductive as that super-rich
midwest pastoral soil we keep hearing about, it jumps up to the best of
non-salt-water results.  How conductive is YOUR local fresh water swamp.

73, Guy

PS, this also applies to fairly acidic recently wet down pine straw forest
floors, like those down in flat land Carolina loblolly or oak forests. Would
vary incredibly depending on whether dry or not, or well drained with acid
leached out.

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM, ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

> Ive doubted some of the claims about fresh water swamps based only on
> personal experience. At a prior QTH I had them on 2 sides and extending to a
> mile or more and the 160 vertical "appeared" to play better then expected.
> All that rotting vegetation had to be good for something and it rarely
> froze more than a few inches in the winter.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK