Re: Topband: Fence "ground screen" instead of wire radials?

To: k8gg@voyager.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Fence "ground screen" instead of wire radials?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 08:12:00 -0400
The issue is going to be whether you can do it WITHOUT gaps, and how it will
manage to last in normal eroding ground and weather conditions. Chicken wire
is notorious for rusting out.  If you could find some made from #18 copper
wire...:>)

Remember what you are doing is providing a counterpoise for the coax shield
half of the circuit, which can be done many ways with varying degrees of
loss down to almost none,  AND providing an opposite cancellation field
against the ground penetrating field from the vertical radiator.  It is the
latter that requires DENSE and UNIFORM to work well.  If it is not, at some
point it becomes lossier than an elevated self-cancelling couinterpoise.

73, Guy.

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM, <k8gg@voyager.net> wrote:

> Brian - K1LI wrote:>
> > I remember seeing an article on this
> subject recently, I think in QST or
> > QEX, but I can't seem to
> track it down. The author used various numbers
> > and
> >
> lengths of wire fencing instead of a "conventional" wire radial
> field.
> >
> > Can someone out there with better searching
> skills point me to the
> > reference?
> >
> > Thanks,
>

> > Brian K1LI
>
> I believe there is a
> reference in some of ON4UN's Low Band DXing books to using wire fencing
> for radials.  I believe John rolls out wire fencing
> sections after the lawn mowing season is finished to enhance his
> ground system.
>
> GL & 73   George  K8GG

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK