Re: Topband: Fabricated common mode chokes - Sourcing

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fabricated common mode chokes - Sourcing
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:53:50 -0400
> As to charring -- that's an issue if the device in question is seeing a
> lot of dissipation.  Properly designed and applied, chokes should NOT
> see a lot of dissipation unless they are being used in series/parallel
> combinations to do impedance transformation.
>
> 73, Jim Brown K9YC

OR, if the choking need location NECESSARILY has a lot of voltage to
block, and then perhaps a bifilar-isolation transformer wound on a
low-mu powdered iron toroid (#2 ideally) would be better.  I have had
applications where use of a high mu toroid was blocking so much
voltage (necessarily so) that it just cracked and burned up the
toroid.

A careful re-examination of the model, with added long runs of
balanced feed lines LITERALLY entered as wires uncovered the voltage,
which in one case put close to thirteen hundred volts RF across a
MEASURED 4k ohms RESISTIVE choke.  One can easily figure out the
burned toast factor there.  Pop goes the toroid.  And lossy, lossy,
lossy.  Really need to know the magnitude of what you are blocking.

73, Guy
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK