Topband: FO8RZ QRT low bands

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FO8RZ QRT low bands
From: f5phw@free.fr
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 04:38:02 +0200
Hello dear topbanders

Today, I dismantled my 160/80 inverted L.

This mail is to thanks all who help in working on low bands.

For me, 160/80 were some very difficult bands. It is still true, but with the
help you gave me, it was a little easier. From Europe, I was just able to QSO
stations from Europe, NA and one with ZL2AGY and VK6HD). On 160, from France, I
just had 2 QSO with NA and the others with Europe. So I was a very very novice
on low bands.

When I began to operate from Tahiti, I received many mails asking me to operate
on top band. F8BPN tols me go on this list in order to have informations.
My rig was only 100 watts and HF6V + 160 kit.

One night, I was CQ'n on topband and JQ2VVH Ken, sent a mail to tell me he
received me 229. Waouh ! It may be possible to do something.

Few mails later, RN3CQ Oleg sent me plans to build a 160/80 inverted L.

I still operate on 160/80 with 100 watts. Had contact with stations from Japan,
east coast of USA and Canada but sigs were very weak. One QSO with VE2TZT was a
good moment.

After, TX4T who was a low band's dxpedition, Jack F6BEE lent me his alpha 76
amplifier. Tnx again Jack. My sigs were biggest. TX4T made a lot of QSO on 160
(2200) and 3600 on 80. But some of you were still trying to QSO FO on low bands.

QSO with Europe were impossible. A lot of stations from Europe tried to hear me.
Just one day, an OZ station heard me very very weak.

I was just able to work NA, JA, UA0 and few SA stations.

I tried to complete my "full WAS 160 to 10 meters". I had 50 states from 80 to
10 meters, but only 2 states were impossible to QSO : SC and SD. We tried
several times, but we did not succeed in. I would like to say thank you to all
stations from this two states who tried and tried and tried to make the QSO.
Congrats to Dave KH2/N2NL who had his 160 WAS. Beautiful job.
Thanks also to all stations from the other 48 states for trying and succeed in
making QSO.

I made 613 QSO on 160. It is not a lot, but distance for each one is more than
4000 km. 27 countries were contacted. The best one were A45XR and RI1FJ.

On 80, 2067 QSO were made, with 95 countries and 50 states contacted.

All this QSO would have not been possible if some of you did not help me on this
list or on on4kst's chat.

Often, I sent questions here or on on4kst's chat and replies were very quick.
Many thanks.

Congrats to WA7LNW and N7TR who installed a 160 SDR. It was a good way to know
if my sigs were ok in NA or not. It is a very good tool.

I will operate from France on low bands, we are looking for a house with a
garden in order to install antenna. Not like AA1K, but to have something who
will give me fun.

Many thanks again to all.

High bands will be stopped 17th july and 40-30 a little bit later.
Then, we will with my famlily back to France after a little stop in USA.

QSL is ok via F8BPN direct/buro and now you can send QSL via F5PHW buro.

Best 73/88 from Tahiti and thanks again.

FO8RZ Phil

Sorry for my poor english if you can find faults....
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK