Topband: Vertical

To: Group Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Vertical
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
Experts needed,

I am using an old Create vertical mounted 20 feet above ground with about 60
radials of various lenghts. I removed the original Create 40 meter trap because
it usually spit fire and extended the vertical to about 40 feet long. At about
33 feet I come off to a large homebrew trap with HV cap for 40 and extend
horizontally to a wire with a similar 80 meter trap and extension for 160. A
trapped inverted L so to speak. The base has a large DX Engineering choke.

The base insulators on the Create turned to charcoal when I tried to base load
the original 40/80 vertical on 160. I put the top wire on after I replaced the
insulator sleeves to keep a lower voltage at the base.

My big 3KW tuner will tune this arrangement 160-10 meters and I sold my Alpha
78. I run under 800 watts now with a AL-80B.

The L seems to be directional and has dead spots. I see 43 foot verticals
advertised all the time.

Question:

If I remove the wire and extended the vertical to say 43-50 feet and use the
tuner on 160-10 do I risk blowing the insulators again? First time was with the
three tube Alpha, which once melted the solder out of the center conductor of a
PL-295 hi hi

Thanks

Rick, N6PE

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK