Topband: T30RH & Pile-Up Decorum

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: T30RH & Pile-Up Decorum
From: "Diane & Edward Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:57:57 -0500
Good Day All,

This morning as I was monitoring the assembled multitude attempting to
contact T30RH, it really struck me as to how folks like Jacek must have the
patience of Job to endure what they do in the mounting of such an effort...

As if the logistics of merely GETTING to some far-flung island country
aren't taxing enough, one must then endure the agony of attempting to
extricate callsigns in the midst of out-of-turn callers and seemingly "deaf"
Hams who continually do little more than sending their callsign over and
over and over again.

This morning was a classic in that regard: poor Jacek REPEATEDLY sent the
broken call of a "K2" station he'd heard, appealing for all others to stand
by---but for all his pleas, he was incessantly deluged by no less than two
other Stateside amateurs (and I use the term amateur both figuratively, AND
literally) who continued honking away with their calls right on top the
2-lander...

...One of these miscreants wasn't even in the second call district---and the
other was an often-heard DX'er on 160-meters who SHOULD know better.

As has so often been said before, good DX operating practice---to say
nothing of good manners!---on this side of the pile-up make it imperative
that one must listen, LISTEN, and then L-I-S-T-E-N some more. Sadly, that
reality has somehow become lost on the current generation of "DX'ers" on
what used to be known as "The Gentleman's Band".

I hope Jacek & company are maintaining a "black log"  that contains the
callsigns of Hams who repeatedly display such loutish & disruptive
behaviour: any QSL cards received from same should be immediately and
deservedly placed into the proverbial round file, IMHO.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK