Re: Topband: Web-based SDRs and DXCC [was Web SDR's and 'Cheating']

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Web-based SDRs and DXCC [was Web SDR's and 'Cheating']
From: William Q Meeker <wqmeeker@iastate.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 04:32:15 -0600
In my opinion and the opinion of a number of other DXers that I have
corresponded with on this subject, DXCC Rule 9 is less than clear,
and as I mentioned in my posting last year

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Topband/2010-01/msg00009.html
.
the rule has been used for justification for DX QSO involving remote
receives in a different continent and the DXCC desk would not state
that such QSOs should not count for DXCC credit.

My reading of the last sentence in Rule 9 is that if I am traveling
in Europe, I cannot sit in my hotel room and use my transceiver at
home to make a DXCC contact. Frankly, I feel that contacts made
remotely in that way should count! Why not? The logic escapes me.

What is important is the location of the transmitter and receiver,
and the first part of Rule 9 only speaks about the transmitter. That
is a problem, and the reason some "DXers" have expressed the opinion
that remote receivers in a different continent are OK. Rule 9, at
best, is ambiguous and needs to be re-written.

73,

Bill
K0KT

At 11:14 PM 2/11/2011, you wrote:
>From: Elsie & Gerry <telwest@telusplanet.net>
>To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:51:07 -0600
>Subject: Re: Topband: Web-based SDRs and DXCC [was Web SDR's and 'Cheating']
>
>I asked this question a few years ago and was referred to the clear
>DXCC rule 9.
>
>9. All stations must be contacted from the same DXCC entity. The
>location of any station shall be defined as the location of the
>transmitter. For the purposes of this award, remote operating points
>must be located within the same DXCC entity as the transmitter and receiver.
>
>This seems to state that the operator and TX/RX must also be in the
>same DXCC entity.
>
>73,
>Gerry VE6LB/VA6XDX
>DXCC Field Checker-Southern Alberta