Topband: Oldies on 1.870 AM radio

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Oldies on 1.870 AM radio
From: Jim Sorenson <kjsorenson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 00:33:44 -0500
I was aligning an NC-300 tonight when what I first thought was a broadcast
image came through quite strong on 1.870 and remained steady between about
0400 and 0515 GMT. It was playing a string of oldies from the 50s mostly and
did not identify. There were no commercials or announcements, just a short
pause after about 10 songs - perhaps to change a reel. It was quite pleasant
really, but that's because I was not on the air tonight. Had my rotatable
flag not gotten blown out of its base by last night's storm I probably could
have peaked this pirate in some general direction. I know it was not a
broadcast harmonic because it also came through loud and clear on my Harris
RF-590 which has a brick wall BC filter ahead of it. No QSB, Q5 copy up to
10 over. FYI - I'm about 25 miles NNE of Pittsburgh in Butler County, PA.

Rather odd, really. If anybody else heard it or hears it in the future,
please let me know.

Jim
W3BH
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK