Re: Topband: Beverage ground rod substitute

To: "'Thomas'" <ac7a@cox.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage ground rod substitute
From: "John Langdon" <jlangdon@outer.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:23:24 -0600
Thomas,

I have similar soil - caliche on top of limestone.  I could fit about a 480'
run towards EU on my lot. I drilled a hole in the limestone for a ground
rod, and backfilled it with Bentonite clay. I also added several ground
straps (not wire but 4' wide strap) out about 10' from the ground rod.  The
straps seemed to lessen the noise and improve the signal to noise ratio -
strictly an anecdotal observation but I thought it was worth the effort, and
did the same thing on another shorter beverage toward JA.

73 John N5CQ